Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm in the wrong business

If lawyering doesn't work out for me, maybe I can get NBC to pick up my comedy series.

THE STORY: Donny is a man in his late 20s who grew up watching hour-long action shows like "The Incredible Hulk," "The A-Team," "Knight Rider," where wandering heroes lent their special talents to people in need. He's taken the scenic route to adulthood, and he's just completed his degree in political science. Armed with this degree, he finds himself unable to find a job. He decides to fall back on the stories of his youth and become a wandering loner, living on the road in his car, looking for people to help and injustices to fight. Of course, Donny doesn't actually have any special talents, nor do the people need his help, nor do many of the injustices actually exist, but that won't stop him from living his dream. Stay tuned for Donny's misadventures this fall!

Many good adventure shows have wise mentor figures who give our hero missions. In this case, it's a temp agency whose boss arranges for Donny to take menial jobs across the country.

Adventure shows also need a pursuer who will chase our hero, like the journalist in "Hulk" or the army in "A-Team." In my show, it's an agent from the Department of Education, determined to track Donny down and make him pay his student loans.

Any casting suggestions? Do you think it would work? I think I could get two or three seasons out of it, with a good writing staff and a good time slot.

(Yes, Donny is named after Don Quixote.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Donny could be played by Steve Zahn. I just saw him eating at BoJames today.

I also picture Donny to have that slight cynical hero bend like Ignatius Reilly. Big lofty goals with no actual idea what's going on. Not as unpalatable as Ignatius though.

I know RHS just took a new job but I think he would be a great writer for the show. You get him and his bib-wearing RHA brother together and they could crank out 4-5 seasons in a apple pie fueled weekend.