Thursday, March 22, 2007

The Alford plea

Rumor has it that Hawkeye basketball coach Steve Alford is on his way out the door to New Mexico.

Normally I would be upset that one of our coaches was leaving us for such a... minor school, but I'm not really sorry to see Alford go. His teams were inconsistent and undisciplined, and I don't know why they always lost to Northwestern.

It's unfortunate that two of the obvious candidates, Greg McDermott and Bruce Pearl, have recently found new jobs, so we'll have to look elsewhere. Bib Guy suggests Lon Kruger, but I'm not sure how long he'd be willing to stay in Iowa. I'd be OK with most of the other guys he suggested. Maybe also Kevin Stallings (2 Sweet Sixteens in eight years at Vanderbilt). And, y'know, Kevin Gamble just won his second straight conference title at Illinois-Springfield...

No comments: