Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Is it bad that I reminisce about advertising?

Today I read a bankruptcy case about a car dealership. The dealership in question, after bankruptcy, was bought out by Bob Rohrman Auto Group.

"Bob Rohrman?" I thought. Sure enough, the case was out of the Northern District of Illinois, and the Bob Rohrman was the Bob ROOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRman I'd seen running commercials on WGN Back In The Day.


"You can tell just by looking at me that I talk funny!"

I also have a distinct memory of early exposure to Empire Carpets on WGN, probably during a commercial break on M.A.S.K. 800-588-2300, Empire.

I have had no luck in hunting down the name of the company that used the dramatic shots of industrial machinery with the slogan "This is the big one. Make no mistakes." I think it might have been Jaeger, but my memory is less than reliable: while researching this blog entry I remembered Boubin Auto ("That's the bear facts, folks") as a Chicago firm when it was actually based in Cedar Rapids.

On a Dubuque-based advertising aside, if anyone knows the last few words of the Skate Country jingle, please inform me. For years I have heard it as "Skate - COUNTRY! It's a great place to (mumble). Skate - COUNTRY!"

No comments: